Welcome to the WKU Alert page. In the event of weather closings/cancellations for WKU’s Bowling Green and regional campuses or other emergencies, information will be posted here, on the WKU homepage, WKU News page, WKU Facebook and WKU News Twitter.
Severe weather alerts
- In the event of severe storm warnings for Warren County, tune to local weather reports on TV, radio or online, follow @wkunews on Twitter, check the WKU StormTopper Network page (or follow StormTopper Network on Twitter or on Facebook) or the National Weather Service’s Louisville forecast office or @NWSLouisville. Additional sources of weather information include Kentucky Climate Center, Kentucky Mesonet, Meteorology Program, Meteorology Blog, WKU StormTopper Network on Twitter, College Heights Atmospheric Observatory for Students (CHAOS) on Twitter and @WxOrNotBG.
- If a tornado warning is issued for Warren County, the WKU Police Department will activate WKU’s outdoor warning system and send an emergency text message to students, faculty and staff who have signed up for WKU’s emergency text alert system. To sign up or verify you are enrolled with the proper cell phone number, log into your WKU TopNet account.
In addition to this page, here are the other ways you can access official WKU information about weather closings/cancellations:
- Text messages: Students, faculty and staff who have signed up for WKU’s emergency text messages will receive a text message announcing changes. Students, faculty and staff can sign up for text messages through TopNet by clicking on personal information and checking View/Update Cell Phone Messaging Notification, or following the directions on the WKU Emergency Preparedness page at www.wku.edu/emergency.
- Online: Information will be posted on the WKU homepage, WKU News page, WKU Alert page, WKU Facebook page and @wkunews and @wku Twitter pages.
- Email: WKU students, faculty and staff also will receive email about any schedule changes.
- Phone: If you can’t get to a computer, the WKU Information line (270-936-0000) will have the latest information recorded.
- News media: WKU will notify WBKO-TV and WKYU-FM in Bowling Green. Other media outlets may post the information as well, but the fastest, most reliable information will come from WKU.
Students, faculty and staff should keep safety in mind when making travel decisions and the university will work with students who can’t come to campus for weather-related reasons.
For more information about emergency communications at WKU, visit http://www.wku.edu/mediarelations/emergency.php.
To check on changes in campus transportation services
You can also monitor NextBus for changes in campus transportation services. To access NextBus:
- Call 270-392-3193 and enter the stop code. (The stop codes are listed on the signs at each bus stop.)
- Visit http://www.wku.edu/nextbus
- Download the NextBus or iWKU app on your smart phone.
- Follow WKU Parking & Transportation on Facebook or Twitter
To check on changes in campus events
Weather could impact events and activities on campus. Check with event organizers for the latest information. More: WKU social media directory.