Welcome to the WKU Alert page where you will find information about WKU weather and emergency communication plans.
Weather closings/cancellations will be announced from WKU News via text alerts, campus emails, WKU homepage, WKU News page, WKU Facebook, @wkunews and @wku. More: 2017 winter weather communications plan
Emergency Preparedness at WKU: At WKU, the safety and security of our students, faculty and staff is extremely important to us. We have created an Emergency Preparedness website as a place where students, faculty, staff and the community can visit to find resources related to campus safety, security, emergency preparedness and more. Find out more at http://www.wku.edu/emergency/
WKU employs a variety of methods to communicate with our internal and external community during an emergency, weather-related event or any time events may cause disruptions in the normal campus routine. These include:
- Emergency text alerts: Students, faculty and staff who have signed up for WKU’s emergency text messages will receive a text message. Students, faculty and staff can sign up for text messages through TopNet by clicking on personal information and checking View/Update Cell Phone Messaging Notification, or following the directions on the WKU Emergency Preparedness page at www.wku.edu/emergency.
- Telephone alert recording: 270-936-0000
- Outdoor warning system (voice alerts and sirens)
- Building warning systems (voice alerts and sirens)
- Emails to students, faculty and staff
- WKU News
- Messages posted to the WKU website
- Messages posted to WKU’s Facebook page, Twitter feed and News RSS feed
- Digital signage boards on campus
- Override of the campus cable television system
- Local news media
Note: All official communication will originate directly from WKU News or the WKU Police Department. We encourage students to be cautious with where they obtain their information during emergency situations, especially via social media. For more information about emergency communications at WKU, visit http://www.wku.edu/mediarelations/emergency.php
Severe weather alerts
- In the event of severe storm warnings for Warren County, tune to local weather reports on TV, radio or online, follow @wkunews on Twitter, check the WKU StormTopper Network page (or follow StormTopper Network on Twitter or on Facebook) or the National Weather Service’s Louisville forecast office or @NWSLouisville. Additional sources of weather information include White Squirrel Weather, Kentucky Climate Center, Kentucky Mesonet, Meteorology Program, Meteorology Blog, WKU StormTopper Network on Twitter, College Heights Atmospheric Observatory for Students (CHAOS) on Twitter, White Squirrel Weather on Twitter and @WxOrNotBG.
- If a tornado warning is issued for Warren County, the WKU Police Department will activate WKU’s outdoor warning system and send an emergency text message to students, faculty and staff who have signed up for WKU’s emergency text alert system. To sign up or verify you are enrolled with the proper cell phone number, log into your WKU TopNet account.
To check on changes in campus transportation services
You can also monitor NextBus for changes in campus transportation services. To access NextBus:
- Call 270-392-3193 and enter the stop code. (The stop codes are listed on the signs at each bus stop.)
- Visit http://www.wku.edu/nextbus
- Download the NextBus or iWKU app on your smart phone.
- Follow WKU Parking & Transportation on Facebook or Twitter
To check on changes in campus events
Weather could impact events and activities on campus. Check with event organizers for the latest information. More: WKU social media directory.