The 2016 Homecoming parade, sponsored by Midtown by Brookside, will begin at 5 p.m. Friday (Oct. 21) near the Downing Student Union and will make its way up College Heights Boulevard then down State Street to Fountain Square Park in downtown Bowling Green.
WKU Parking and Transportation Services announces the following changes to traffic patterns and street closings and changes to transit service to create a safe parade route. No traffic will be allowed on closed roads until the parade is over at approximately 6 p.m. More: Map of parade route and road closings; Homecoming preview; Homecoming schedule; Homecoming website.
- No traffic will be allowed on closed roads until the parade is over at approximately 6 p.m.
- Expect delays on Russellville Road between Morgantown Road and University Boulevard from 2:30 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Avenue of Champions closes at 2:30 p.m.
- College Heights Boulevard closes at 4 p.m. from Colonnade Drive to University Boulevard.
- College Heights Boulevard closes at 5 p.m. from Colonnade Drive up to and including State Street.
Parking lots affected
- Diddle North, Diddle South, South Lawn and Poland Lots: Vehicles will not be able to exit onto Avenue of Champions from 2:30 p.m. until the completion of the parade at approximately 6 p.m.
- PS1: Exiting traffic will use the College Heights Boulevard exit beginning at 2:30 p.m. At 4 p.m., all exiting traffic will turn left onto College Heights Boulevard. All exits will open following the parade.
- Wetherby Lot and Schneider Lot: Exiting traffic must turn right after 4 p.m. and will not be allowed to exit onto College Heights Boulevard after the parade begins between 5 p.m. and approximately 6 p.m.
- Hub Lot: Vehicles will not be able to exit the lot between 5 p.m. and approximately 6 p.m.
- College Hill Lot: Vehicles will exit right onto College Street, but will not be able to exit onto College Heights Boulevard between 5 p.m. and approximately 6 p.m.
Transit service changes
Transit service Friday afternoon also will be affected by the Homecoming Parade and associated road closings. As a result, bus stops will be closed and bus routes will be detoured (More: See Transit Detour Map). If you are traveling:
- Between Main Campus and South Campus, use the White Line. Beginning at 2:15 p.m., use all bus stops on Normal and State Street. Beginning at 4:45 p.m., use the Jones-Jaggers, University Boulevard and Regents & Normal bus stops.
- Between Main Campus and Downtown, use the Red Line. Beginning at 4:45 p.m., use the following bus stops on Main Campus — Creason, Jones-Jaggers, University Boulevard and Educational Leadership bus stops; on Chestnut Street — Regents & Normal, Chestnut & Ogden, and North Chestnut; Downtown — Downtown Parking Garage
- Between Main Campus and Russellville Road West Parking Lot, beginning at 2:30 p.m., call PTS at (270) 745-2361 or go to the Creason Bus Stop.
- Some GObg Public Transit routes will also be affected by the road closures. Contact GObg at (270) 782-3162.
- Visit NEXTBus for bus stop notifications. Please note, NEXTBus predictions will not be able to give accurate predictions during route detours.
- While normal transit routes and schedules resume at 6 p.m. when the parade is over, expect delays.
Contact: Parking and Transportation Services, (270) 745-2361 or email@example.com.