WKU (2-1) hosts its first-ever Southeastern Conference opponent in Bowling Green on Saturday (Sept. 24) when Vanderbilt (1-2) visits Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium.
Due to the expected crowd, gates to Houchens-Smith Stadium will open TWO HOURS prior to kick off instead of the normal 90 minutes to help fans get to their seats. Fans are asked to wear RED for the Red Out. The first 5,000 fans will receive a WKU red towel and the first 1,000 students will receive a free RED OUT T-shirt. More about gameday plans.
Tailgating areas will open at 7 a.m. The Topper Walk along Avenue of Champions will begin at 1:15 p.m. Several lots near the stadium are reserved for event parking. Free event parking with shuttle service is available in the University Boulevard Lot, Jones-Jaggers Lot, Creason Lot, Russellville Road West Lot, Adams Street Lot, Kentucky Street Lot and Alumni Square Garage. More: Event parking; parking changes/road closings; parking/transit changes for students; tailgating map; shuttle service map.
Fans with gameday questions can head to the “Stewart Richey Fan Experience Center,” located at the 50-yard line of the east concourse, to get all the answers to their in-stadium questions.
Using the promotional code “SELLOUTVANDY” online at WKUTickets.com, fans can get $5 off their single-game ticket price to help WKU surpass the attendance record of 23,252 set against Southern Miss on 2012. To track the progress, the homepage of WKUSports.com has a live countdown of the remaining tickets available. The WKU Ticket Office remains open Monday through Friday with extended hours, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for fans looking to buy season and single-game tickets. Season tickets begin at just $80 per person. As of Friday morning, about 1,700 tickets remained for the game.
Gates at the stadium will open two hours prior to kickoff, and doors to the Jack and Jackie Harbaugh Club will open two hours prior to the game. Gates 1, 3, 5 and 6 are used for general public entry and sales, and Gate 4 is the student entrance with Gate 3 used for student guest entry. Also located at Gate 5 is W-Club will call and sales, general public will call, cheerleading and dance pass list, recruit pass list for sports other than football, football player and coach pass list. For tickets, contact the WKU Ticket Office at 1-800-5-BIG RED or (270) 745-5222 or visit the office in E.A. Diddle Arena. Tickets can be purchased 24 hours a day at WKUTickets.com.
Ticket booths at the stadium will open at 11 a.m. Saturday. The Ticket Office at E.A. Diddle Arena will be open Saturday morning at 8 until sales shift to the stadium.
Fans are encouraged to be in their seat by kick off as an ultra-high resolution, 360° fan photo will be taken early in the game. Fans should dress in their best Hilltopper Red show up at or before game time to ensure they’re in the photo. The interactive photo – powered by Blakeway Worldwide Panoramas – will allow fans to find and tag themselves, share the views with friends, enter to win cool prizes, and celebrate the day in incredible detail. The image will be billions of pixels in size (yes, that’s billion with a “b”). Sign up to be notified when it’s ready to view at: http://pano.ly/wku16
Tailgating areas open at 7 a.m. Saturday and will close 30 minutes prior to the start of the game. Tailgating is allowed in all non-reserved parking lots and in designated grassy areas. Fans may utilize other grass and lawn areas throughout campus to picnic and for other non-tailgating activities. All areas will be closed 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Pop-up tents, grills and coolers are permissible, and loading and unloading zones are located throughout campus and available on a temporary basis for those wishing to unload items on the lawns where parking is not permitted. The grass on the South Lawn is available for picnicking this season, with fans able to utilize the grass on gameday as space allows. WKU Athletics reserves the right to close grass tailgating areas due to inclement weather. More: Tailgating map.
Zaxby’s Tailgate Experience
The Zaxby’s Tailgate Experience arrives on South Lawn for game day for a unique tailgating adventure. WKU has been chosen as one of only twelve schools to serve as the premium tour stop destination for Zaxby’s, and this setup will include an interactive virtual reality experience, in addition to a fun body painting experience! Zaxby’s will also be distributing 1,500 rally towels and koozies at the local Zaxby’s and during the tailgating event.
Returning to The Hill this fall is TopperTown, a kids play area featuring inflatables, balloon artistry, face painting and games for kids of all ages. TopperTown opens three hours prior to kickoff and is free for the entire family, and it is located in front of PS2 on the campus side, directly across Avenue of Champions from the Downing Student Union. Fans can experience TopperWalk and cheer on the entire WKU Football team and Coach Brohm as they enter the stadium at 1:15 p.m. Saturday. TopperWalk starts on Avenue of Champions in front of PS1 across from the Downing Student Union, where the team buses will drop off the players and coaches so they can walk by fans and along with the WKU Cheerleaders, Topperettes, Big Red Marching Band and Big Red into the stadium. Promotions and giveaways for the 2016 season can be accessed in the Fan Zone at WKUSports.com and are continually updated.
Opening Act at Augenstein Alumni Center
For the fourth-straight season, the WKU Alumni Association will host Opening Act on gamedays, sponsored by US Bank, at the Augenstein Alumni Center at 292 Alumni Ave. The building will be open to the public from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. All alumni and fans are invited to tailgate on the lawn and enjoy the facility. Food and beverages are available for purchase at the Satterthwaite Atrium Bar located inside the Augenstein Alumni Center. For information, contact the WKU Alumni Association at (270) 745-4395 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit alumni.wku.edu for details.
Gameday Parking & Traffic
- Portions of Diddle West will be reserved for media parking beginning Wednesday evening.
- Portions of South Lawn Lot will be reserved beginning at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
- Lots surrounding Diddle Arena (Diddle North, Diddle South, Diddle West), Smith Stadium (South Lawn Lot, Avenue of Champions, Smith West Lot), College Heights Boulevard Lot, and PS1 Floors 1-3 will be reserved for event parking beginning at 6 a.m. Saturday. All lots must be cleared by 7 a.m.
- Other lots reserved for event parking starting at 6 a.m. Saturday are Jones-Jaggers, Service Supply, Russellville Road Lots and a portion of Gated Regents Lot.
- More: See the Tailgating Map for details; read more about event parking.
- Avenue of Champions will close at 11:30 a.m. Traffic will detour onto College Heights Boulevard.
- The downhill lane of College Heights Boulevard will close from 1 p.m. until kickoff. Traffic will detour onto Colonnade Drive.
- Alumni Avenue will be closed in front of Augenstein Alumni Center from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Use Kentucky Street to access the Alumni Avenue entrance to Alumni Square Garage.
- While these roads are closed, use Regents Avenue or Minton Circle for pickups and drop-offs. Do not block traffic.
Free Public Parking with Complementary Shuttle Service
- Free event parking with shuttle service is available in the University Boulevard Lot (Lot A), Jones-Jaggers Lot (Lot B, Disability parking), Creason Lot (Lot C), Russellville Road West Lot (Lot D), Adams Street Lot (Lot E), Kentucky Street Lot (Lot F), and Alumni Square Garage (Lot G). More: View gameday map.
- Complementary shuttle service begins at 1:30 p.m. and runs continuously on three different routes. More: Shuttle Routes Map.
- Service is suspended after kickoff and resumes at halftime until approximately 8:30 p.m.
- All buses are equipped to provide ADA service.
Disability and RV Parking
- Disability parking is available in the Jones-Jaggers Lot beginning at 8 a.m. Complementary shuttle service begins at 1:30 p.m.
- RV Parking will be provided in the Service Supply Lot on a first come, first served basis beginning at 6 p.m. Friday. Driving lanes must remain open at all times.
- WKU and Bowling Green Police will begin directing event traffic away from campus at the end of the Third Quarter.
Parking changes for WKU students
- The housing zone H4 parking spaces on Avenue of Champions must be cleared by 7 a.m. Saturday. Alternate parking is available in the Poland or Creason Lots.
- The McCormack Lot must be cleared by 7 a.m. Saturday.
- Any vehicles remaining after 7 a.m. will be fined $35 and relocated.
- Note for WKU students: Due to the expected congestion on campus, traffic will be heavy and parking will be hard to find. This will affect all Housing lots, including PS1. If you must move your vehicle Saturday, please be aware of parking lot and road closings and plan extra time to find available parking. Event parking and traffic should clear around 8:30 p.m. More about student parking.
WKU Transit Changes
- The Valley, DSU and Keen bus stops will be closed from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. The Green Line will re-route onto Normal Street heading down the Hill. Use bus stops on Normal Drive for Saturday Green Line transit service.
- The SGA Safe Ride Purple Line will run its normal route and schedule.
WKU Gameday App
WKU Athletics joined forces with IMG and SportsLabs to develop the WKU Gameday App to keep Hilltopper fans connected to the action while at the game or watching from home. The WKU Gameday App is packed with robust social, on-campus and stadium features that enhance the gameday experience by delivering:
- Free live game audio
- Real-time Instagram and Twitter feeds from the team and fans
- The official game-day guide with key times, events and need-to-know information including stadium maps and parking to plan the day
- Enhanced location-aware maps for fans attending both home and away games
- Live conference and Top 25 scores and real-time stats
- Opt-in alerts for weather updates, pregame events, play-by-play information and more
- WKU’s Gameday App can be found as a free download in both the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores by searching “WKU Gameday.”
For gameday information, contact Kyle Neaves, (270) 745-3756
For parking and traffic information, contact Parking & Transportation, (270) 745-2361