The Scholar of the Week program recognizes young scholars in southcentral Kentucky and the WBKO viewing area for their academic and extracurricular activities. The Honors College at WKU has been partnering with WBKO since 2010 on the Scholar of the Week Program.
The Scholars of the Week have their name, high school and accomplishments air on segments on WBKO’s “10 PM News” on Tuesdays and “AM Kentucky” on Wednesdays. Each student is invited to a reception to celebrate their achievements, recognize them individually, and reward two Scholar of the Week students with a $1,000 scholarship for WKU.
This year’s two scholarship winners are Gabrielle Short, a senior at Barren County High School, and Madeline Stephenson, a senior at Cumberland County High School.
Short, the daughter of Chris and Pam Short, has a 4.0 GPA and is a member of the bowling team, Broadcasting Club, Health Occupation Students of America and Foreign Language Club. She plans to attend WKU and study biology.
“I am so shocked that I received the scholarship,” she said. “I had just said before they announced my name that I might as well leave now because I won’t get it.”
Stephenson, the daughter of Dr. John and Pam Stephenson, has a 4.0 GPA is a member of the golf team, is a Prudential Spirit of Community Award 2015 State Honoree a Commonwealth of Kentucky Ambassador and a 2015 Kentucky Governor’s Scholar. She plans to pursue a degree in business.
“I am very honored to be awarded this scholarship and to be able to represent the Scholar of the Week program and the Class of 2016,” she said.
The following students were recognized as Scholars of the Week for the 2015-2016 academic year:
- Adair County High School: Kayla Garrison
- Allen County-Scottsville High School: Cullen Carver, Ty Foster, Jack Kello
- Barren County High School: Summer Coots, Gunnar Eaton, Mariah Hughes, Dakota Hunt, Kaylee Payne, Gabrielle Short
- Bowling Green High School: Paige Fields, Gabrielle Hak, Sarah Haynes, Jessica Klusty
- Breckinridge County High School: Madalynn Lagadinos
- Butler County High School: Madison Wells
- Central Hardin High School: Deron Alexander Bibb, Rebekah Mobley
- Cumberland County High School: Molly Morgan, Madeline Stephenson
- Daviess County High School: Neil Madadi, Karli Sanders, Brady Stein
- Edmonson County High School: Jhonna Basil
- Greenwood High School: Adan Deeb, Christine DiMeo, Elizabeth Guthrie, Matthew Propst, Ashley Spiller, Abbigayle Willgruber
- Hart County High School: Ryan Carmicle
- Homeschool (Butler County): Aaron Jacobs
- Logan County High School: Rachel Barnett, Kaitlyn Foster
- Madisonville-North Hopkins High School: Logan Brown, Tate Burris, James de Leon, Sarah Lutz, Kasey Miracle, Gillian Senter, Anna Waide
- McLean County High School: Cable Wilson
- Meade County High School: Kayla Cook, Natalie Wilkins
- Metcalfe County High School: Hayden Crain, Sarah Deckard, Kennedy Harbison
- Ohio County High School: Luke Johnson, Dimond Shelton
- South Warren High School: Ainsley Brown, Madeline Allen, Emma Briggs, Ryan Martin, Reagan Miller, Sarah Pemberton, Sydney Pemberton, James Rice, Sam Tuggle, Sydney Willingham
- Warren Central High School: Elizabeth Cain, Chanley Gray, Brynn Hawkins, Heather Canul Pena, Zachary Schwarzkopf, Kevin Sims
- Warren East High School: Calvin Blankenship, Alexander Conway, Morgan Gardner, Grant Turner
- Webster County High School: Hanna Van Winkle
Contact: Allison Smith, (270) 745-2081