It’s Homecoming on the Hill as WKU hosts Florida Atlantic at 11 a.m. Saturday (Nov. 7) at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium.
Under the Big Top is the theme Homecoming 2015. Homecoming Day will feature numerous reunions of organizations, Greek groups, athletic teams, academic programs and more. (More: Welcome home Hilltoppers!) The 2015 Homecoming queen will be crowned at halftime. The first 1,000 fans into the stadium will receive a free WKU Fan Wig. (Read more about Homecoming gameday plans.)
Tailgating areas will be open from 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.; tailgating will resume after the game until 5 p.m. TopperWalk will begin at 8:45 a.m. along Avenue of Champions. On social media, use and follow #TopsUnderTheBigTop.
Saturday’s game will be televised nationally by Fox Sports Networks with radio broadcast on the Hilltopper IMG Sports Network. You can also follow the game on the WKU Gameday App or on Twitter @WKUFootball.
Tickets are available through the WKU Ticket Office and can be purchased for as little as $25 per seat. Tickets for kids ages 3-12 are $15 per seat.
Ticket booths at the stadium will open at 8 a.m. Saturday. The ticket office at E.A. Diddle Arena will also be open from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. For tickets, contact the WKU Ticket Office at 1-800-5-BIG RED or (270) 745-5222 or visit the office in E.A. Diddle Arena. Tickets can be purchased 24 hours a day at WKUSports.com.
Homecoming Friday Night
Homecoming Friday Night will be highlighted by the parade, Concert in the Park and Big Red’s Roar.
- The parade, sponsored by Midtown by Brookside, will begin at 4:30 p.m. near the Downing Student Union and will make its way up College Heights Boulevard then down State Street to downtown Bowling Green.
- The Homecoming Concert in the Park, sponsored by Midtown by Brookside, will begin at 5 p.m. at Fountain Square Park and will feature Buffalo Rodeo. Big Red’s Roar, the annual Homecoming student pep rally, will begin at 6 p.m.
The complete 2015 Homecoming schedule of events can be found at www.alumni.wku.edu/homecoming
Hall of Fame Inductions
The Hall of Distinguished Alumni and the WKU Athletic Hall of Fame will induct new members as part of Homecoming.
- Members of the 24th class of HODA — Thomas A. George III, Naomi J. McAfee and Nancy L. Quarcelino – will be inducted during a luncheon at 11 a.m. Friday at the Sloan Convention Center.
- Members of the 25th class of the Athletic Hall of Fame — Chris Robinson, Eugene Smith, Raigo Toompuu and Kicker Vencill – will be inducted during a brunch at 8 a.m. Saturday at Diddle Arena.
Tailgating and Picnicking
Tailgating for Saturday’s game begins at 7 a.m. and will end at 10:30 a.m.; general tailgating areas will reopen after the game until 5 p.m. Vehicles will not be allowed in the lawns at the Valley and Bates-Runner because tents are set up there for Homecoming festivities. More: Tailgating map
Gameday Parking & Traffic
Several parking lots will be reserved for event parking and road closures will occur before game time. (More: Gameday parking map)
- Portions of Diddle West will be reserved for media parking beginning Thursday evening.
- Portions of South Lawn Lot will be reserved beginning at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
- Lots surrounding Diddle Arena (Diddle North, Diddle South, Diddle West), South Lawn Lot, Avenue of Champions, Russellville Road Lot, Gated Regents, College Heights Boulevard Lot, PS2 and floors 1-3 of PS1 will be reserved for event parking. Lots must be cleared by 7 a.m. Saturday; all vehicles must be moved from Avenue of Champions on-street parking by 7 a.m. More: Student parking and WKU transit services on Saturday.
- For pedestrian safety, Avenue of Champions will close at 7 a.m.; non-event traffic will detour onto College Heights Boulevard. College Heights Boulevard will close at 8:30 a.m. at Colonnade Drive; all traffic will detour onto Hilltop Drive. More: Reserved lots and road closings.
- Public parking will be available in the Alumni Square Garage for $5/vehicle.
- Free parking will be available in the a portion of Creason Lot, University Boulevard Lot, Chestnut Street South Lot, Mimosa Lot, Chestnut Street North Lot, Gated Hilltop, Helm Lot, Cherry Lot, Honors Lot, College Hill Lot, HUB Lot, Potter Lot, and Kentucky Street Lot. Please carpool.
- Disability parking is provided in the Jones-Jaggers Lot. Shuttle service begins at 9 a.m.
- RV Parking will be provided in the Service Supply Lot on a first-come, first-served basis beginning at 6 p.m. Friday. Driving lanes must remain open at all times.
- Complimentary shuttle service will be offered from the University Boulevard Lot and Russellville Road West Lot every 20 minutes starting at 6 a.m.; from Jones-Jaggers Lot and Creason Lot every 20 minutes starting at 9 a.m.; from Adams Street Lot and Alumni Square Garage every 10 minutes starting at 9 a.m.. All shuttle service will end at approximately 4 p.m.
- HAF members are encouraged to display their parking permit prior to arrival to expedite the parking process.
- Police will control post-game traffic at the beginning of the third quarter. Access to campus may be restricted while event traffic is leaving campus.
For more information about event parking, gameday parking and traffic maps, visit WKUSports.com or www.wku.edu/transportation. For season parking permit information, contact the HAF at (270) 745-5321 or visit supporthaf.org.
Opening Act at Augenstein Alumni Center
The WKU Alumni Association will host Opening Act on gamedays, sponsored by US Bank, at the Augenstein Alumni Center at 292 Alumni Ave. The building will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Saturday. All alumni and fans are invited to tailgate on the lawn and enjoy the facility.
WKU Conferencing and Catering will be grilling at Rally Alley with tailgate food and beverages available for purchase at the Satterthwaite Atrium Bar located inside the Augenstein Alumni Center. Tailgating is encouraged around the Augenstein Alumni Center, and pop-up tents are allowed in the green space around the building.
Returning to The Hill this fall is “TopperTown,” a kids play area featuring inflatables, balloon artistry, face painting and games for kids of all ages. TopperTown opens three hours prior to kickoff and is free for the entire family, and it is located in front of PS2 on the campus side, directly across Avenue of Champions from the Downing Student Union.
Fans can experience TopperWalk and cheer on the entire WKU Football team and Coach Brohm as they enter the stadium at 8:45 a.m. Saturday. TopperWalk starts on Avenue of Champions in front of PS1 across from the Downing Student Union, where the team buses will drop off the players and coaches so they can walk by fans and along with the WKU Cheerleaders, Topperettes, Big Red Marching Band and Big Red into the stadium.