Ahead of Hilltopper Football‘s Sept. 10 home opener against LA Tech at 7 p.m. (CT) at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium, WKU Athletics has announced its gameday plans and logistics, as well as improved food and family fun options for the entire 2015 season.
The first 3,000 fans into the stadium on Thursday (Sept. 10) will receive a Jeff Brohm Bobblehead, courtesy of US Bank. On Tuesday (Sept. 8), WKU is hosting a “Big Red Lunch” at 11:30 a.m. at Mr. B’s Pizza & Wings in Bowling Green. The first 50 fans wearing WKU Red to the lunch will be the first to receive a bobblehead.
The WKU Ticket Office will be open on Labor Day (Sept. 7) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for fans looking to buy season and single-game tickets. Season tickets begin at just $75 per person. New for 2015 is the “Big Red Family Plan” — a four-pack of reserved seats for just $150, or just $37.50 per person for the entire season, less than $8 per game for reserved seating.
For Thursday’s game, no new parking will be allowed after noon on South Lawn, Avenue of Champions, the lots around E.A. Diddle Arena and on College Heights Boulevard to allow fans with reserved gameday parking to move in. No new parking will be allowed in Parking Structure 1 (PS1) and Parking Structure 2 (PS2) after 2 p.m. to allow gameday parking.
Avenue of Champions closes to through-traffic at 4 p.m., and event shuttle service begins. People still parked in Hilltopper Athletic Foundation reserved spots will be towed beginning at 4. Once Avenue of Champions closes to through traffic for gameday, all parking access for Lot 3, Lot 4, South Lawn and Avenue of Champions is accessed via University Boulevard from College Heights Boulevard. (Read more on gameday traffic changes.)
PS1, located on the north side of E.A. Diddle Arena, remains admissible on gameday free of charge. This structure provides approximately 500 free covered parking spaces and is part of over 4,500 free paved parking spaces available throughout campus for fans attending games.
HAF members are encouraged to display their parking permit prior to arrival to expedite the parking process.
Tailgating and Picnicking
Tailgating is allowed in all non-reserved parking lots and in designated grassy areas. Fans may utilize other grass and lawn areas throughout campus to picnic and for other non-tailgating activities. All areas will be closed 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Pop-up tents, grills and coolers are permissible, and loading and unloading zones are located throughout campus and available on a temporary basis for those wishing to unload items on the lawns where parking is not permitted. More: Tailgating map
The grass on the South Lawn is available for picnicking this season, with fans able to utilize the grass on gameday as space allows. WKU Athletics reserves the right to close grass tailgating areas due to inclement weather.
Ticket booths at the stadium will open at 4 p.m. Thursday. The Ticket Office at E.A. Diddle Arena will be open Thursday during normal business hours until sales shift to the stadium at 4.
Gates at the stadium will open 90 minutes prior to kickoff, and doors to the Jack and Jackie Harbaugh Club will open two hours prior to the game. Gates 1, 3, 5 and 6 are used for general public entry and sales, and Gate 4 is the student entrance with Gate 3 used for student guest entry. Also located at Gate 5 is W-Club will call and sales, general public will call, cheerleading and dance pass list, recruit pass list for sports other than football, football player and coach pass list and the visiting team pass list.
For tickets, contact the WKU Ticket Office at 1-800-5-BIG RED or 745-5222 or visit the office in E.A. Diddle Arena. Tickets can be purchased 24 hours a day at WKUSports.com.
Opening Act at Augenstein Alumni Center
For the third-straight season, the WKU Alumni Association will host Opening Act on gamedays, sponsored by US Bank, at the Augenstein Alumni Center at 292 Alumni Ave. The building will be open to the public two-and-a-half hours prior to kickoff and will close 30 minutes before kickoff. All alumni and fans are invited to tailgate on the lawn and enjoy the facility.
WKU Conferencing and Catering will be grilling at Rally Alley with tailgate food and beverages available for purchase at the Satterthwaite Atrium Bar located inside the Augenstein Alumni Center. Tailgating is encouraged around the Augenstein Alumni Center, and pop-up tents are allowed in the green space around the building.
Returning to The Hill this fall is “TopperTown,” a kids play area featuring inflatables, balloon artistry, face painting and games for kids of all ages. TopperTown opens three hours prior to kickoff and is free for the entire family, and it is located in front of PS2 on the campus side, directly across Avenue of Champions from the Downing Student Union.
Fans can experience TopperWalk and cheer on the entire WKU Football team and Coach Brohm as they enter the stadium two hours prior to kickoff. TopperWalk starts on Avenue of Champions in front of PS1 across from the Downing Student Union, where the team buses will drop off the players and coaches so they can walk by fans and along with the WKU Cheerleaders, Topperettes, Big Red Marching Band and Big Red into the stadium.
Promotions and giveaways for the 2015 season can be accessed in the Fan Zone at WKUSports.com and are continually updated.
Food and Beverage
The offerings at food and beverage stands at the stadium continue to be improved by hospitality partner Centerplate and offer many new options and locally-sourced dishes for fans to compliment the traditional gameday selections:
- Moonlite Bar-B-Q: Called “the best barbecue in Kentucky,” Moonlite’s outpost will serve its famous Chopped Pork Sandwiches (Section 130)
- Steamer Seafood: Returning for its fourth season at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium, Steamer Seafood is once again providing popular seafood options for fans on the West Side Concourse near the Berm Endzone and in a new location on the East Side behind Section 135.
- Kansas City Style BBQ Pork Wings: Fresh bone-in pork shank deep fried and coated with classic BBQ sauce (Section 108)
- The Conewich Express: Philly Cheesesteak Conewich (Section 134); Steak Gyro Conewich (Section 134)
- Cajun Hot Sausage Link: Served with onions and peppers on a hoagie bun (Section 108)
- Franks Red Hot Hand-Breaded Jumbo Chicken Wings with Waffle Fries (Section 113)
- Hand-Breaded Chicken Tenders with Waffle Fries (Section 103)
- Variety of Value Combos at a Discounted Price: Hot Dog Combo served with chips and 20 oz fountain drink; Chop Shop Burger Combo served with waffle fries and 20 oz fountain drink; Pulled Pork Combo served with coleslaw and 20 oz fountain drink; Hand-Breaded Chicken Tender Combo served with waffle fries and 20 oz fountain drink
WKU Gameday App
WKU Athletics joined forces with IMG and SportsLabs to develop the WKU Gameday App to keep Hilltopper fans connected to the action while at the game or watching from home. The WKU Gameday App is packed with robust social, on-campus and stadium features that enhance the gameday experience by delivering:
- Free live game audio
- Real-time Instagram and Twitter feeds from the team and fans
- The official game-day guide with key times, events and need-to-know information including stadium maps and parking to plan the day
- Enhanced location-aware maps for fans attending both home and away games
- Live conference and Top 25 scores and real-time stats
- Opt-in alerts for weather updates, pregame events, play-by-play information and more
WKU’s Gameday App can be found as a free download in both the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores by searching “Western Kentucky Gameday.”
Contact: Michael Schroeder, (270) 745-5045