The WKU football team opens the 2014 season Friday night (Aug. 29) against Bowling Green State University. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. The game will air on the CBS Sports Network and the Hilltopper IMG Radio Network.
In addition to kicking off its first season in Conference USA, WKU will celebrate the grand opening of the renovated Downing Student Union with a ribbon cutting and dedication at 4:30 p.m.
Classes on WKU’s main campus scheduled for 3 p.m. or later Friday will be dismissed. The main campus will close at 3 p.m., and tailgating festivities will begin at 4. Several parking lots (listed below) must be cleared by 3:30 p.m. following the close of business, and Avenue of Champions must be cleared by 11:30 a.m.
Game and ticket information
- Friday’s game has been designated the “Live United White Out” game with the first 6,000 fans receiving a white “Live United” T-shirt. Tickets are on sale through WKUSports.com, by visiting the WKU Ticket Office in E.A. Diddle Arena or by calling 1-800-5BIGRED or (270) 745-5222.
- For information about the game, check out the 2014 WKU Football Gameday Central page on WKUSports.com for game notes, rosters, media guides, stats, video, audio, social media updates and more.
- The new WKU Gameday App can be found as a free download in both the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores by searching “Western Kentucky Gameday” or by CLICKING HERE for the iOS version or CLICKING HERE for the Android version.
- More: 2014 enhanced gameday plans and food options
- Tailgating festivities will begin at 4 p.m. Friday and end 30 minutes before kickoff. Tailgating is allowed in all non-reserved parking lots and in designated grassy areas. Fans may utilize other grass and lawn areas throughout campus to picnic and for other non-tailgating activities. All areas will be closed 30 minutes prior to kickoff. The grass on the South Lawn is available for picnicking this season, with fans able to utilize the grass on gameday as space allows. WKU Athletics reserves the right to close grass tailgating areas due to inclement weather. (More: 2014 tailgating map; gameday parking map.)
- The WKU Alumni Association will host Opening Act, sponsored by US Bank, at the Augenstein Alumni Center at 292 Alumni Ave. The building will be open at 4 p.m. and will close at 6 p.m.
- TopperTown, a kids play area featuring inflatables, balloon artistry, face painting and games for kids of all ages, will open three hours prior to kickoff and is free for the entire family, and it is located in front of Parking Structure 2 on the campus side, directly across Avenue of Champions from the Downing Student Union.
- During TopperWalk, fans can cheer on the Hilltoppers as they enter the stadium two hours prior to kickoff. TopperWalk starts on Avenue of Champions in front of Parking Structure 1 across from the Downing Student Union.
- More: 2014 enhanced gameday plans and food options; 2014 tailgating map.
Parking and traffic changes
Gameday Public Parking
- Public parking will be available in the Alumni Square Garage for $5 per vehicle. Shuttle service will be provided approximately every 10 minutes.
- A limited amount of public parking will be available in PS1 at no charge on floors 4-7. Use the University Boulevard entrance.
- Public parking will be available in the Creason Lot and University Boulevard Lot at no charge. Shuttle service will be provided approximately every 15 minutes.
Disability and RV Parking
- Disability parking is provided in the Jones-Jaggers Lot beginning at 3:30 p.m. Disability Shuttle Service will be provided by Topper Transit beginning at 4:30 p.m. and will continue through the conclusion of the event.
- RV Parking will be provided in the Service Supply Lot on a first come, first served basis beginning at 4 p.m.
Gameday Reserved Parking
A number of faculty/staff and student lots will be reserved to support the event.
The following Faculty/Staff lots will be reserved. No vehicles will be allowed in the lots after 2 p.m., and lots must be cleared by 3:30 p.m. following the close of business Friday:
- College Heights Boulevard Lot
- Parking Structure 1st-3rd Floor and West Ramp
- Diddle North
- Diddle South
- Diddle West
- South Lawn
- Avenue of Champions – Faculty/staff Section
- A portion of Gated Regents
- Jones-Jaggers (following McNeill traffic)
- Service Supply
- Russellville Road
The following Student parking lots will be reserved for event parking:
- Avenue of Champions must be cleared by 11:30 a.m. Friday. Vehicles remaining after noon will be relocated.
- For PS2, no vehicles will be allowed in after 2 p.m., and the structure must be cleared by 3:30 p.m. following the close of business Friday.
- The Commuter section of the Kentucky Street Lot will close at 2 p.m. and must be cleared by 3:30 p.m. following the close of business Friday.
Transit Service also will be disrupted when roads close.
- College Heights Boulevard will close at 4:30 p.m. to protect tailgating areas.
- The White Line will discontinue service at 4:30 p.m.
- The Red Line will continue its scheduled service until 6 p.m.
- The Green Line and Purple Line will run a modified route until after the game traffic has cleared and Avenue of Champions opens. Use the bus stops on State Street and Normal Street for all bus routes.
- Free shuttle service will be provided beginning at 4:30 p.m. until the conclusion of the event from the following locations: Alumni Square Garage, Jones-Jaggers, Creason Lot, University Boulevard Lot.
Pre-Event Road Closings
Roads will close prior to the game for pedestrian safety and event traffic control.
- Avenue of Champions will be closed at College Heights Boulevard at 3:30 p.m. Access will be restricted to event permit holders. Event permit holders should approach the intersection from University Boulevard. Avenue of Champions will re-open after the conclusion of the game and event traffic has subsided.
- College Heights Boulevard will be closed to all southbound traffic at Hilltop Drive at 4:30 p.m. Northbound traffic will be detoured onto Colonnade Drive. No large trucks can pass. Beginning at 5:30 p.m., College Heights Boulevard southbound closure will move to Colonnade Drive. Northbound traffic will reopen with no restrictions. College Heights Boulevard will open after the game begins at 6:30 p.m.
Post-Event Traffic Control
Following the game, while event traffic is exiting campus, traffic will be controlled at the following intersections:
- University Boulevard and 31W
- University Boulevard and Normal Street
- University Boulevard and Russellville Road
- University Boulevard and Parking Structure 1
- University Boulevard and Parking Structure 2
- University Boulevard and Old Morgantown Road
- Russellville Road and Morgantown Road
- More: Post-event traffic map.
Contact: Parking & Transportation, (270) 745-2361.