The WKU School of Teacher Education has released a six-book series, Explore the Core: Math Problem Solving and Projects, Grades 1-6.
This series provides the tools necessary to capture the wonder and fun of mathematics while helping teachers and parents instruct the Common Core Mathematics Standards in a manageable way.
“Mathematics can be one of the most exhilarating experiences a child has while imparting confidence and power to bolster all thinking in school and educational endeavors,” said Dr. Janet Tassell, one of the series editors. “Our hope with this book is to give the tools necessary to capture the wonder and fun with mathematics and help teachers and parents instruct the Common Core Mathematics Standards in a manageable way.”
Other editors from the School of Teacher Education are Dr. Rebecca Stobaugh and Dr. Marge Maxwell. The authors are as follows:
- Grade 1: Emily Mills (Bowling Green City) and Kim Whitney (Simpson County)
- Grade 2: Kathryn Smith (WKU) and Shanna Smith (Hart County)
- Grade 3: Lisa Murley (WKU) and Abigail Watkins (Warren County)
- Grade 4: Pam Jukes (WKU) and Janet Cole (Warren County)
- Grade 5: Allison Pearson (Warren County) and Melissa Zimmer (Warren County)
- Grade 6: Tamra Carter (Warren County) and Jessica Hussung (Warren County)
- Authentic Challenge Projects Grades 1-6: Marge Maxwell (WKU) and Rebecca Stobaugh (WKU)
A book release celebration will be held from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. April 17 at Gary Ransdell Hall, room 3073.
Each book focuses and connects to the Standards for Mathematical Content and Standards for Mathematical Practice, including making sense of problems and perseverance in solving them, modeling with mathematics, and using appropriate tools strategically. Books also feature a chart to monitor progress toward learning goal success; pre- and post-assessments for every Common Cores Standard domain; a problem set for every Common Core Standard; authentic challenge projects with real-world and technology integration; and a detailed answer key. Books can be ordered at www.amazon.com.
Contact: Dr. Janet Tassell, (270) 745-5306.