Eighteen WKU students will present their research at the 2014 Posters-at-the-Capitol event Feb. 27 in Frankfort.
- Tori Buckley, a Gatton Academy senior from Glasgow, will present Molecular Level Interaction of an Aminoglycoside Antibiotic with Human Fibroblast Growth Factor 1. Faculty mentor: Raja Dakshinamurthy.
- Fenil Chavda, a Gatton Academy senior from Hopkinsville, will present Green Synthesis, Characterization of Sugar Coated Gold Nanoparticles for Catalytic Applications. Faculty mentor: Raja Dakshinamurthy.
- Ashlan Clark, a Bloomfield senior, will present Risks of Nocturnal Tornadoes in the Mid-South. Faculty mentor: Gregory Goodrich.
- John Cliburn, a Gatton Academy senior from Cloverport, will present Applications of the Banach Fixed-Point Therorem. Faculty mentor: Lan Nguyen.
- Amy Correll, a Somerset senior, will present International Health and Aging: Observations and Analysis of Elderly Care in Migori, Kenya. Faculty mentor: Dana Burr Bradley.
- Maggie Day, a senior from Columbus, Ind., and Angelia Calvo, a senior from Henderson, Tenn., will present Serving the Underserved. Faculty mentor: Barbara Bush.
- Ajit Deshpande, a Gatton Academy senior from LaGrange, will present Comparison of Antimicrobial Effects between Biologically and Chemically Synthesized Silver Nanoparticles. Faculty mentors: Shivendra Sahi and Sneha Krishnamurthy.
- Samantha Dinga, a Gatton Academy senior from LaGrange, will present The Effect of Inversion on Adult Attention Disengagement from Faces. Faculty mentor: Cara H. Cashon.
- Caitlin Gover, a Bowling Green senior, will present Analysis of House Bill One the “Pill Mill Bill.” Faculty Mentor: Gregory Ellis-Griffith and Aki Michimi.
- William R. Hamilton, a Cerulean sophomore, will present Designing a Unique Therapeutic Agent Involving Gold Nanoparticles Capped with Certazidine from Potent Antibacterial Applications. Faculty mentor: Raja Dakshinamurthy.
- Suhaib Mahmood, a Gatton Academy junior from Crestwood, will present The Unorthodox Reaction Rates of Anti-Cancer Familial Platinum Compounds with Medthionine and Guanosine Monophosphate. Faculty mentor: Kevin Williams.
- Jason Payne, a Hardinsburg junior, will present A Single Step Synthesis and Characterization of Nanowires and Nanospheres for Catalytic Applications. Faculty mentor: Raja Dakshinamurthy.
- Keisha Ray, a Bowling Green senior; Carlet Hagan, a Smiths Grove senior; and Gabrielle Manny, a Bowling Green graduate student, will present Sustainability and Collegiate Recreational Sports Facilities. Faculty mentors: Brad Stinnett and Fred Gibson.
- Hannah Rodgers, a Gatton Academy senior from Verona, will present Single Step, Antibiotic Mediated Synthesis of Gold Nanoparticles with Potent Antimicrobial Activity. Faculty mentors: Raja Dakshinamurthy and Rammohan Paripelly.
- Connor VanMeter, a Gatton Academy junior from Lexington, will present Functional Characterization of Newly Identified Antiterminator RNAs. Faculty mentor: Rodney King.
In its 13th year, Posters-at-the-Capitol is intended to help Kentucky government officials to better understand the importance of undergraduate research. More: Posters-at-the-Capitol program booklet; details on WKU, Gatton Academy research projects Contact: Blaine Ferrell, (270) 745-4033.