Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium at WKU will be the site for the 2012 Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl State Football Championships on Friday, Nov. 30, and Saturday, Dec. 1. The championship games are scheduled for 11 a.m., 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. (CST) both days.
This two-day event will bring thousands of high school students, teachers, school officials, fans and media from across the Commonwealth of Kentucky to Bowling Green and onto the WKU campus and represents a major tourism opportunity for our community and the Bowling Green Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Below is information on parking/traffic changes for the WKU campus community as well as parking/traffic/ticket information for those planning to attend the games. More information on the state football championships also is available at http://www.wku.edu/gridiron/
Friday, Nov. 30
- 1A championship: Mayfield 55, Fairview 8
- 3A championship: Louisville Central 12, Belfry 6 (overtime)
- 4A championship: Highlands 47, Collins 0
Saturday, Dec. 1
- 2A championship: Newport Central Catholic 30, Caldwell County 26
- 5A championship: Bowling Green 34, Cooper 20
- 6A championship: Trinity 61, Pleasure Ridge Park 7
For the WKU community
To accommodate and welcome those attending the games, parking near the stadium as well as the Creason Lot will be reserved for game patrons, KHSAA officials and media. Alternative parking arrangements for WKU permit holders affected by these changes are described below, and a map of public parking for the two-day event is available below.
What is changing?
- Parking Structure 2 and the Creason Lot will be used exclusively for paid public parking all day Nov. 30-Dec. 1.
- The surface lots around Diddle Arena, South Lawn Lot and Russellville Road Lot and some on-street parking on Avenue of Champions will be reserved parking for KHSAA officials and media Nov. 30-Dec. 1.
- Parking Structure 1 will be used for paid public parking beginning with the 3 p.m. game on Friday, Nov. 30, and will be used for paid parking all day Saturday, Dec. 1. Changes also will be made to Topper Transit services during this event. For details, visit the Parking and Transportation Services website.
- WKU faculty and staff members displaced from on-street parking on Avenue of Champions, lots around Diddle Arena, South Lawn Lot or Russellville Road Lot for Friday’s games should utilize PS1, Jones-Jaggers, Service Supply, Mimosa, Adams Street, Kentucky Street Paved Lot, and other lots on campus. To improve access and traffic congestion please note the University Boulevard entrance of PS1 will be closed. The Avenue of Champions side of PS1 will be used entering and the Avenue of Champions and College Heights Blvd exits will both be available for use. For Friday, Nov. 30, only, faculty and staff may park in the Alumni Square Garage.
- WKU Housing students who normally use Creason Lot should park in other housing lots or Chestnut South Lot. Cars parked in the Creason Lot must be removed by 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 29. Vehicles remaining in the lot after 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 29, will be fined $100.
- WKU commuter students who normally use Parking Structure 2 or Chestnut South Lot should park in other Commuter lots on campus, such as the Center Street Gravel Lot, or utilize available park and ride lots at South Campus. Buses run from the Campbell Lane and South Campus lots every 5 to 8 minutes. For Friday, Nov. 30, only, commuter students may also park in the Alumni Square Garage.
- Map of alternate parking locations for students, faculty and staff.
For more about event parking, visit http://www.wku.edu/transportation/ or contact Parking and Transportation at (270) 745-2361.
Will traffic patterns change?
With more than 35,000 fans are expected on campus over the two days, traffic on and around campus will be more congested than usual. Guests are being directed to use University Boulevard to access event parking lots.
The Diddle Arena side of Avenue of Champions (left lane only) will be closed from North Diddle Lot through the DUC construction area. Beginning at Smith Stadium, the right lane will be closed for bus parking and the left lane will open for through traffic.
After each game, traffic exiting PS2 will be directed north onto University Boulevard to Kentucky Street. Traffic exiting PS1 will be directed east onto College Heights Boulevard. Traffic exiting the Creason Lot will be directed south on Creason Drive to Emmett Avenue.
For students, fans, school officials and others coming to Bowling Green, here is some information about parking, traffic, tickets and more (also online http://www.wku.edu/gridiron/):
- Individual game tickets are $10 and will be available at the stadium. Or contact the WKU ticket office at 1-800-5-BIGRED.
- For those traveling on Interstate 65 southbound to Bowling Green: Take Exit 28 (Louisville Road/US 68-80) and follow the signs to Bowling Green via 31W, 68-80, Adams Street.
- For those traveling on Interstate 65 northbound to Bowling Green: Take Exit 20 (Natcher Parkway) to Exit 7 (Russellville Road). Take a right on Russellville Road and follow it to campus.
- For those traveling southbound on the Natcher Parkway: Take the Morgantown Road (US 231) or Russellville Road (68-80) exits.
- Once you arrive at WKU, use University Boulevard to access event parking lots. (Click here for a campus map)
- Team, band and fan buses will use Avenue of Champions (between the stadium and Downing University Center) for unloading and loading.
- Parking Structure 2 ($8) and the Creason Lot ($5) will be used for paid public parking all day Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. Parking Structure 1 ($8) will be used for paid public parking beginning with the 3 p.m. game on Friday, Nov. 30, and will be used for paid parking all day Saturday, Dec. 1. Parking will be cash only. Tailgating will not be allowed in any of the WKU lots.
- The surface lots around Diddle Arena, as well as the South Lawn Lot and Russellville Road Lot, will be reserved parking for KHSAA officials and media.
- After each game, traffic exiting PS2 will be directed north onto University Boulevard to Kentucky Street. Traffic exiting PS1 will be directed east onto College Heights Boulevard. Traffic exiting the Creason Lot will be directed south on Creason Drive to Emmett Avenue. (For maps of postgame traffic plans, visit the Parking &
More: Event parking map.
Contact: Campus and Community Events, (270) 745-2497; or Parking and Transportation, (270) 745-2361.