WKU’s Office of International Programs will present its second annual International Reach Week Sept. 24-29 with a weeklong series of events is designed to spotlight the ways faculty, staff and students are helping to make WKU “a leading American university with international reach.”
Individuals and departments from all across campus will provide engaging intercultural experiences for faculty, staff, students and the Bowling Green community. The Office of International Program is supporting a diverse program of nearly two dozen events that include the introduction of the “International Year of” initiative; workshops and presentations on study abroad programs as well as the Study Abroad Fair; a Peace Corps information session; tours of the Confucius Institute at WKU; a Chinese film festival; art exhibits at the Kentucky Museum; a presentation on the Bosnian war; and a viewing and discussion of A Mighty Heart, based on the story of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl who was kidnapped and killed in Pakistan. (More: Check out the International Reach Week page; or OIP Facebook page.)
The International Club (I-Club) Eat & Greet, co-sponsored International Student and Scholar Services, the Office of Diversity and Zeta Phi Beta sorority, will be held from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday (Sept. 23) at Centennial Mall. The mission of the I-Club is to foster an understanding among different cultures at WKU.
Some featured events include the following:
- WKU’s Chief International Officer, Dr. Craig T. Cobane, and Dr. David Coffey will announce a new initiative entitled the “International Year of [Country]” intended to provide the WKU campus and surrounding community with a year of diverse and intentional opportunities to explore and engage with a single region or country. The presentation will be held from 12:30-1:30 p.m. Monday (Sept. 24) in Helm Library 100.
- Want more information on the Fulbright Grant process? The Fulbright Association of Kentucky will have a panel at the Faculty House from 3-4:30 p.m. Monday (Sept. 24). (Coffee and light snacks provided by OIP.)
- Has joining the Peace Corps ever crossed your mind? A Peace Corps General Information Session will be held from 5:30-7 p.m. Tuesday (Sept. 25) in Downing University Center A210
- Interested in studying abroad? The Study Abroad Fair, presented by the Office of Study Abroad & Global Learning, takes place from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday (Sept. 26) in the lobby of Mass Media and Technology Hall.
- The Bowling Green International Festival will feature a variety of performances and events for all ages from 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Sept. 29 at Circus Square Park in downtown Bowling Green; admission is $4.
- Other activities: Featured events for faculty/staff; featured events for students.
Contact: International Programs, (270) 745-7002.