For the second year, “Dipped in Red,” a team of WKU faculty, staff and students, will participate in the 200-mile Bourbon Chase.
The two-day relay through central Kentucky will be held Sept. 28-29.
This year’s co-captains of the 12-member “Dipped in Red” team are Marshall Gray, director of Postal, Printing and Vending Services, and Eddy Cuisinier, a French instructor in the Department of Modern Languages.
“The Bourbon Chase is something that is really fun,” Gray said. “This is just my third year of running so this is a highlight of the year for me to participate with this team.”
The Bourbon Chase course begins at Jim Beam Distillery’s American Outpost located in Clermont and makes its way through Bardstown, Loretto, Lebanon, Springfield, Stanford, Danville, Harrodsburg, Lawrenceburg, Versailles, Frankfort and Midway before ending in downtown Lexington.
The 250 teams travel on vans with six runners in each van. The relay has 36 legs with each runner completing three legs during the course. During the overnight portion of the relay, runners wear reflective vests and safety lights.
When the final runner approaches the finish line in Lexington, all members of the team join together to cross the line at one time.
Jennifer Burgett, who works in Accounting and Financial Reporting, is looking forward to the event. “For that period of time, we get to leave everything else behind and focus on this common goal of finishing this relay,” she said.
After “Dipped in Red” completed the 2011 Bourbon Chase in 31 hours, team members were already thinking about 2012. “Everyone said we’re in again,” Gray said. “There was never any doubt.”
2012 “Dipped in Red” team members are:
- Marshall Gray — Postal, Printing and Vending Services
- Eddy Cuisinier — Modern Languages Department
- Abigail Lindsay Oesterritter — Art Department
- Yvonne Petkus — Art Department
- Huda Melky — Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services
- Ben Saathoff — former graduate assistant with the Preston Center
- Michelle O’Brien — wife of Ben Saathoff
- Laura Bain-Selbo — Social Work Department
- Eric Bain-Selbo — Philosophy and Religion Department
- Kurt Fattic — Potter College of Arts & Letters
- Jennifer Burgett — Accounting & Financial Reporting
- Seth Tooley — WKU Honors College student and Gatton Academy alumnus
Team sponsors include Van Meter Insurance and Trax Running, but the group is seeking additional sponsors to help cover equipment costs that include van rental, reflective vests, flashlights, flashing LED safety lights, batteries, first aid kit, umbrellas, drinks, energy bars and more.
To learn more about the team or sponsorship opportunities, contact Marshall Gray at (270) 745-6185 or email firstname.lastname@example.org