Winter weather changes game schedule: After reviewing all of the available data/information and the most educated predictions, the KHSAA is making schedule adjustments for the rest of the weekend, and changes to a few of the event instructions to help with this weekend’s weather situation. Read more at http://khsaa.org/120613-changes-in-schedule-state-football-finals/
The revised schedule will be as follows (all times Central) (results listed below):
- Friday, 11 am - Class 1A- Mayfield vs. Williamsburg (as scheduled)
- Friday, 3 pm - Class 3A- Wayne County vs. Belfry (as scheduled)
- Saturday, 11 am - Class 2A- DeSales vs. Newport Central Catholic
- Saturday, 2 pm - Class 4A- Collins vs. Highlands
- Saturday, 5 pm - Class 6A- Meade County vs. Scott County
- Sunday, 2 pm - Class 5A- Bowling Green vs. Pulaski County
Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium at WKU will be the site for the 2013 Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl State Football Championships on Friday, Dec. 6, through Sunday, Dec. 8.
This event will bring thousands of high school students, teachers, school officials, fans and media from across the Commonwealth of Kentucky to Bowling Green and onto the WKU campus and represents a major tourism opportunity for our community and the Bowling Green Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Below is information on parking/traffic changes for the WKU campus community as well as parking/traffic/ticket information for those planning to attend the games. More information on the state football championships also is available at http://www.wku.edu/gridiron/
Friday, Dec. 6
- Class 1A championship: Mayfield 42,. Williamsburg 0
- Class 3A championship: Belfry 3, Wayne County 0
Saturday, Dec. 7
- Class 2A championship: DeSales 34, Newport Central Catholic 26
- Class 4A championship: Collins 37, Highlands 34
- Class 6A championship: Scott County 21, Meade County 14
Sunday, Dec. 8
- Class 5A championship: Bowling Green 49, Pulaski County 14
For the WKU community
To accommodate and welcome those attending the games, parking near the stadium as well as the Creason Lot will be reserved for game patrons, KHSAA officials and media. Alternative parking arrangements for WKU permit holders affected by these changes are described below, and a map of public parking for the two-day event is available on this page.
What is changing?
- Parking Structure 2 and the Creason Lot will be used exclusively for paid public parking all day Friday, Dec. 6, and Saturday, Dec. 7.
- The surface lots around Diddle Arena, South Lawn Lot and Russellville Road Lot and some on-street parking on Avenue of Champions will be reserved parking for KHSAA officials and media Friday, Dec. 6, and Saturday, Dec. 7.
- Parking Structure 1 will be used for paid public parking beginning with the 3 p.m. game on Friday, Dec. 6, and will be used for paid parking all day Saturday, Dec. 7. Changes also will be made to Topper Transit services during this event. For details, visit the Parking & Transportation website.
- WKU faculty and staff members displaced from on-street parking on Avenue of Champions, lots around Diddle Arena, South Lawn Lot or Russellville Road Lot for Friday’s games should utilize PS1, Jones-Jaggers, Service Supply, Mimosa, Adams Street, Kentucky Street Paved Lot, and other lots on campus. To reduce traffic congestion, the University Boulevard entrance of PS1 will be closed. Use the Avenue of Champions entrance of PS1. For Friday, Dec. 6, faculty and staff may park in the Alumni Square Garage at no charge.
- WKU Housing students who normally use Creason Lot should park in other housing lots or Chestnut Street South Lot. Cars parked in the Creason Lot must be removed by 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5. Vehicles remaining in the lot after 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, will be fined $100. (More: Map of Housing parking on Dec. 6-7.)
- WKU commuter students who normally use Parking Structure 2 or Chestnut South Lot should park in other Commuter lots on campus, such as the Center Street Gravel Lot, or utilize available park and ride lots at South Campus. Buses run from the Campbell Lane and South Campus lots every 5 to 8 minutes. For Friday, Dec. 6, commuter students may also park in the Alumni Square Garage at no charge. (More: Map of Commuter parking for Dec. 6-7)
- Map of alternate parking locations for students, faculty and staff.
For more about event parking, visit http://www.wku.edu/transportation/ or contact Parking & Transportation at (270) 745-2361.
Will traffic patterns change?
With more than 35,000 fans are expected on campus over the two days, traffic on and around campus will be more congested than usual. Guests are being directed to use University Boulevard to access event parking lots.
- Avenue of Champions will be closed to through traffic beginning at 2 p.m. each day. Event traffic will be allowed in.
- After each game, traffic exiting PS2 will be directed north onto University Boulevard to Kentucky Street. Traffic exiting PS1 will be directed east onto College Heights Boulevard. Traffic exiting the Creason Lot will be directed south on Creason Drive to Emmett Avenue.
For students, fans, school officials and others coming to Bowling Green, here is some information about parking, traffic, tickets and more (also online http://www.wku.edu/gridiron/):
- Individual game tickets are $11 for general admission and will be available at the stadium at 9:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday (Dec. 6-7). Or visit the KHSAA website, contact the WKU ticket office at 1-800-5-BIGRED or buy online at www.wkusports.com.
- For those traveling on Interstate 65 southbound to Bowling Green: Take Exit 28 (Louisville Road/US 68-80) and follow the signs to Bowling Green via 31W, 68-80, Adams Street.
- For those traveling on Interstate 65 northbound to Bowling Green: Take Exit 20B (Natcher Parkway) to Exit 7 (Russellville Road). Take a right on Russellville Road and follow it to campus.
- For those traveling southbound on the Natcher Parkway: Take the Morgantown Road (US 231) or Russellville Road (68-80) exits.
- Once you arrive at WKU, use University Boulevard to access event parking lots. (Click here for a campus map)
- Team, band and fan buses will use Avenue of Champions (between the stadium and Downing Student Union) for unloading and loading. (Map of bus unloading and parking.)
- Parking Structure 2 ($10) and the Creason Lot ($5) will be used for paid public parking all day Dec. 6 and Dec. 7. Parking Structure 1 ($10) will be used for paid public parking beginning with the 3 p.m. game on Friday, Dec. 6, and will be used for paid parking all day Saturday, Dec. 7. Parking will be cash only. Tailgating will not be allowed in any of the WKU lots.
- Disability parking will be available in Parking Structure 2 and in the Creason Lot. A disability shuttle will be available from the Creason Lot.
- The surface lots around Diddle Arena, as well as the South Lawn Lot and Russellville Road Lot, will be reserved parking for KHSAA officials and media.
Post Event Traffic
- After each game, traffic exiting PS2 will be directed north onto University Boulevard to Kentucky Street. Traffic exiting PS1 will be directed east onto College Heights Boulevard. Traffic exiting the Creason Lot will be directed south on Creason Drive to Emmett Avenue. (For maps, visit the Parking & Transportation website.)
- Shuttle service for disabled patrons will be provided from the Creason and Adams Street Lots for all games.
- Transit service is available from South Campus on Friday, Dec. 6, only. The White Line runs approximately every 10 minutes and drops off in front of the stadium during the day. The Green Line runs from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Contact: Campus and Community Events, (270) 745-2497; or Parking & Transportation, (270) 745-2361.